VMDK errors migrating a VMware appliance

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gregg hughes ISC
Gregg hughes ISC's picture
VMDK errors migrating a VMware appliance

Good afternoon, all!

I have a Zenoss VMware appliance running on a plain ESXi 5.5 host. I want to move that VM to a different host. Ordinarily, I'd shut down the VM and copy everything in the datastore folder down to my laptop and back up to the desired ESXi host. This time, it's different.

I can copy down the logs, nvram and vmx files, and the base .vmdk and flat.vmdk. However, when I try to copy the 5_1 through 5_6 vmdk files, the copy process errors out with a very unhelpful "File operation failed" and I have a 1KB .vmdk listed in the Windows folder.

Is there a better way to migrate this VM? Or, failing that, move the accumulated stats and configs over to a fresh OVA deployement?

Thanks to all for looking!

Gregg

Ddelay
Ddelay's picture
When I was having to do

When I was having to do something similar, I would export the VM into an OVF folder (exporting to a single OVA file would result in a similar useless error). Then I could just deploy the OVF to a different host. The whole process took a few hours due to the size of the VM, but it seemed to work for me, at least. 

Gnreen753
Gnreen753's picture
When I was having to do

It is a very good and interesting for that.

gclub

Gregg hughes ISC
Gregg hughes ISC's picture
OVF times out/fails when copying largest disk

Hello!

I tried exporting to OVF format - the drives exported until the largest (80 GB or so) then timed out/failed. The disk would start to lay down the vmdk.tmp file, get to 170 K or so and stop. The other .tmp files would show increasing sizes, so I figured the process was hung. Then I checked and the .tmp file is 45 GB - don't know.

At this point I may just scrub the migration and start from scratch with a new installation. I like what I see in the VMware appliance but I can't justify the resources the appliance takes for my infrastructure. We'll see how management feels about this.....

Thanks!

Gregg