Trouble modeling AIX hosts

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Theboogwa
Theboogwa's picture
Trouble modeling AIX hosts

First off, I'm using Zenoss Core 4.2.0 and my orginization uses SNMP instead of SSH to collect data. I know that's not optimal, but I'm stuck with it for now. When I model an AIX host, I'm not picking up a lot of the componet informatoin (File systems, Network Routes, etc.) except for Processors and Interfaces. The explanation I got from our prvious Zenoss admin was that AIX's SNMP didn't play nice. As a rsult, they created data sources mapping file systems to OIDs for each file system and monitored it that way. There has to be a better and more dynamic way to make this work. I am using the snmp.HRFileSystemMap wich should map the file systems to my knowledge. I do see the file system information as part of the HOST-RESOURCE-MIB when I do a snmpwalk, yet I'm still having trouble having Zenoss picking up the file systems. Does anyone have any ideas or troubleshooting tips? Thanks in advance!

Jcurry
Jcurry's picture
Personally, I think SNMP is

Personally, I think SNMP is great.  Old, klunky, low-level - but it is standard and it works.

I have also had trouble with AIX snmp agents in the past.  IBM was always a little non-conformist in this area, though I thought latterly they eventually shipped the net-snmp agent like the rest of the world.

I would start with some basic snmpwalk commands from a command-line window on your Zenoss server to establish what SNMP version and community name to use and to explore what SNMP OIDs really are available.  So for host aix1, using SNMP Version 2c, with a community name of public, use:

snmpwalk -v2c -c public aix1 system

Among other things, this should tell you the agent that is being run on the target system, like:

SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: Linux core519 3.10.0-327.36.3.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Oct 24 16:09:20 UTC 2016 x86_64
SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: NET-SNMP-MIB::netSnmpAgentOIDs.10

The "system" on the end of the snmpwalk command says to just get the MIB-2 system variables.  Next, I would use the same command but get everything - so leave off the "system" and I would redirect the output to a file as there may be lots of it:

snmpwalk -v2c -c public aix1 > /tmp/aix1.out

If you need to see the actual, dotted-decimal OID stuff, use the -O n parameter:

snmpwalk -v2c -c public -O n aix1 > /tmp/aix1.out_oid

That will help you compare what your target device supports with OIDs that are in performance templates.

Do you want to make a start with that and continue the discussion here?

Cheers,

Jane

Theboogwa
Theboogwa's picture
Hi Jane, thanks for always

Hi Jane, thanks for always being so helpful. What I meant about not having optimal setup was about having an older version of Zenoss Core. SNMP works for me and on the AIX systems I’m working on, I’m running v2c. I do see the file system information listed as part of the HOST-RESUORCES-MIB which is what bothers me. Isn’t the point of the HRFileSystemMap modular plugin to pull that information and populate it in the components tab of each modeled system? What my predecessor was doing was feeding in the results of a “df” as part of an SNMP extension. I was just hoping to figure out why Zenoss wasn’t picking up information like file systems automatically when it was being modeled.

Jcurry
Jcurry's picture
So do your AIX boxes support

So do your AIX boxes support the HOST RESOURCES MIB?

Try snmpwalk -v 2c -c <community name> <device> 1.3.6.1.2.1.25

You should get lots of output if the HOST RESOURCES MIB is supported.

In order for Zenoss to gather filesystem information, you need to ensure that the correct modeler plugins are applied to a device or, bettter, class of devices.  Look at the modellers applied to /Server/Linux - those that start zenoss.snmp.HR are gathering Host Resources data which should then show as components of the device; so HRFileSystemMap gets filesystems and HRSWRunMap populates the OS Processes component.

If you already have a device class for your AIX servers, simply add the required HR modeler plugins to that class and then remodel the devices.

Once you have the components showing, performance data may get collected automatically.  Look under Monitoring Templates -> Filesystems There are several different variants of the COMPONENT template called Filesystem here, for different device classes.  You don't need to (and shouldn't) manually bind a component template - it happens automatically.  The only glitch you may experience is that a template has to be ELIGIBLE to be bound to a class of devices.  If, for instance, you have a device class /Server/Linux/AIX then performance data will be collected automatically for you as the /Server/Linux template gathers the data you probably want.  Your AIX class is under /Server/Linux so can inherit this template.  If you have a device class /Server/AIX then it won't inherit the /Server/Linux template.  From the Monitoring Templates menu, you can select the Filesystem (/Server/Linux) template and use the Action icon and Copy / Override Template option to copy the template to your /Server/AIX class.  Now it is eligible for use with devices under your AIX class, it will automtaically bind.

Not sure if you may already have a filesystem template for your AIX device class whatever it is, courtesy of a different ZenPack or past history?  If so, you could modify that to either add the stuff for the host resources data or change what is there if relevant.

Hope some of that gets you going!

Cheers,

Jane

NB. I shall be away from Feb 10th to March 10th, 2017

Theboogwa
Theboogwa's picture
Jane,

Jane,

I’ve figured a few more things out when it comes to my modeling AIX issue. I had thought that the problem was within the HRFileSystemMap modular plugin, but after I removed all the ignore file system types, it modeled a few things for me. I then took a closer look at the output of the HOST-RESOURCE-MIB and saw that my AIX machines did not output any network for fixed disks in the hrStorageType field, but RAM and virtual memory were listed. So it looks like AIX is not feeding those disks into SNMP for me. I found what looks like a bug in net-snmp on AIX that looks to be what I’m dealing with. More info can be found here https://sourceforge.net/p/net-snmp/bugs/2390/?page=1. I wont be able to test the fix action out until I get some downtime on the server though. Hopefully this fixes it.